View single post by borderuffian
 Posted: Tue Apr 28th, 2009 07:45 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
borderuffian

Mana: 

barrydancer wrote: "I believe every predominantly white country promoted the idea of white supremacy...the North being no exception."

Perhaps, but the North didn't create their own government to prove the point, now did they?

I point you again to Alexander Stephens, vice president of the Confederacy, who ought to know a little something about what was going on at the time. The Confederacy's "foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery—subordination to the superior race—is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth."

It appears the only difference between Lincoln and Stevens on the issue of race was status- one promoting slavery, the other a permanent and inferior underclass:

"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races....and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on equal terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race..."

Close Window