View single post by Art B.
 Posted: Fri Sep 1st, 2006 02:56 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Art B.

Mana: 

Born 1952 a northerner [Buffalo NY]. We vacationed to Sarasota FL in summers 1958-1960. First day's drive got us to Gettysburg, Hwy.15. Stayed at motels right across the street from the battlefield. No time to sight-see, had to get to the beaches in FL to thaw out from Buffalo winter [so said Mom!]. Drove past signs announcing "Richmond Battlefields," too. Never stopped.

Moved to Sarasota 1961, learned southern hospitality and manners from a relative who moved there from CT a few years earlier. They liked the slower pace, the drawl, but that's all changed now.

Anyhow, high school history got me revved up for further ACW reading. Fell off the wagon in college, but about 1983 I started reading a LOT. Found Foote, Freeman, Catton, dived in and haven't come up for air yet.

Have been fortunate to be able to travel to ACW sites since 1998; every other year, a college buddy and I alternate east & west visits. 1998 was eastern theater, 2000 western, 2002 back east, 2004, west again, and just finished two week east trip in July. Still need to see Vicksburg, Memphis, Jackson, Perryville, Richmond [KY], Lincoln's birthplace, a few others. Want to go back to Franklin [see the newly protected golf course near McGavock cemetery] and Corinth [new visitors' center and interpretive coverage]. Still looking for Iuka plaques, etc.

Have discovered Florida has a surprisingly large number of Civil War sites, too, even near here [Tampa].

I can see revisiting all the places I've already been, once I retire. By then, maybe my wife will want to see them too!

ArtorBart

Close Window