View single post by cklarson
 Posted: Sat May 9th, 2009 06:53 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
cklarson

Mana: 

Folks,

I'm one of the ones who got the ball rolling on the women Civil War soldiers in the early 90s. Currently there are 3 good books out: the most recent and readable, Women on the Civil War Battlefront by Richard Hall (UPress Kansas, 2006); Deanne Blanton's and Lauren Cook's, They Fought Like Demons; and Elizabeth D. Leonard's All the Daring of a Solider: Women of the Civil War Armies. Hall includes battlefield nurses and Leonard does a good job covering US detectives. Also see Linda Grant DePauw's CW chapter in Battlecries and Lullabies. Go to my website designed specifically for teachers and students: "Springing to the Call: A Documentary View of Women in the American Civil War," at http://www.nymas.org, right sidebar, scroll down. E.g., Annie Etheridge's pension bill copy; Eliz. Taylor, CSNavy, among other documents, including the most pertinent chapters of Martha Coston's memoir, A Signal Success. She developed the Coston night signaling system used up till the 1930s by the Navy and CG. Also on the NYMAS website is my complete chapter on Anna Ella Carroll and the 1862 Tenneessee River campaign (did anyone see the 1938 movie on her "Strange Glory" 5/5 on TCM?). Hall, Blanton and De Pauw are all my friends and so far we've documented about 300 women soldiers/combatants. My own cousin, presumably Frances Deming, served 9 months in Co. A, 17th OVI and was discharged for "the congenital peculiarity of being female." I have a copy of her discharge form.

Maggie McLean's blogspot is very good, but not all her information is accurate, although it appears most is. Also see the new bios of Elizabeth Van Lew by Eliz. Varon; Pauline Cushman by William J. Christen; and Rose Greenhow by Ann Blackman. Still the best 1-volume treatment of women in the war is Mary Massey's Women in the Civil War, originally published in the 60s as Bonnet Brigades, not an enticing title. Then there is my novel, South Under a Prairie Sky: The Journal of Nell Churchill, US Army Nurse & Scout, a very fact-based work of fiction set in IL on the homefront and mostly TN on the war front, based partly on my mother's family in Warren/Henderson Cos. IL.

Cheers!,
CKLarson

Close Window