View single post by CleburneFan
 Posted: Wed May 13th, 2009 02:41 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
CleburneFan

Mana: 

cklarson wrote: The saddest case I know of is from the Chicago Tribune--a reporter found a 13 year old drummer girl wounded in the hospital. She enlisted with her 3 brothers, as their parents had died. By the time she was wounded all of her brothers had been killed.

CKL

That is heartbreaking. I wonder whatever became of her. Orphans had a rough, rough time of it in those days. These days too, come to think of it.

Pittman is an interesting woman too. She actually rode with Forrest, as I understand it. She would have had to be an excellent cavalrywoman in order to meet his standards. I didn't know, however, that she ever offered to help catch him!

Ms Larson, you are very well informed on these matters. I have a question if you don't mind. I've been rereading my copy of "They Fought Like Demons." The word rape is mentioned only once in the entire book!  That staggers my imagination. I just can't believe that there is only one recorded instance of attempted rape ( and the book does say  "attempted") in the entire four years of the Civil War.

My own guess is that many young women who would be discovered in the military dressed as males would face a trial by fire, assault at the very least if not actual rape. Why would there be no record anywhere of such abuses?

Women in the military today, even women officers and officer candidates, face abuse from males. Why would the Civil War have been any different?  

Last edited on Wed May 13th, 2009 02:42 pm by CleburneFan

Close Window