View single post by CoryB
 Posted: Tue May 26th, 2009 04:23 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
CoryB
Buford Trooper

Mana: 

borderuffian has it right. Slavery was an issue for a long time, but it wasn't the straw the broke the camel's back. Even though the North was more lenient on the issue there were still Northern slave owners and those who felt indifferent on the issue.

As borderuffian said, in 1860/61 the South was fed up with being told what they could and couldn't do. They didn't fire the opening shots of the war to maintain their slaves; they fired to maintain their right to have slaves/property.

Now don't get me wrong, I know slavery is a huge issue here and I'm not trying to down play it at all. It was a big part in paving the way for war. But in 1861, especially with this "Lincoln fellow," and talk of freeing the slaves, the South become severely aggitated about being told what they could and couldn't do especially with property. It'd be like if Tobacco was outlawed. Perhaps not a war, but the South would have been equally as outraged if the United States President had told them that their prize cash crop was now illegal.

I mean I was in Gettysburg a month ago and I saw a LBG giving a talk at the Virginia Monument and a guy with a Confederate Kepi looked across to Cemetery Ridge and shouted, "You sons of b's, you ruined our way of life," and then he walked off leaving the LBG there by himself. I'm sure that gentleman wasn't standing there wishing that there were still slaves, but rather that his ancestors weren't able to live as they wanted in a land that toted freedom as a premium. Nobody will tell you that the Revolutionary War was about slavery.

This is just my point of view at this stage of my life based upon all that I have studied. I respect all of your opinions and I think this is a wonderful debate. I'm just throwing some weight behind what I've come to find over the years. Thank you for giving me a wonderful forum to actually talk about things like this, it's been something that's missing in my life.