View single post by Art B.
 Posted: Fri Sep 8th, 2006 05:36 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Art B.

Mana: 

And I recommend Pickett's Mill, GA, just west of Kennesaw Mtn. Some rugged terrain and a very knowledgeable staff await the ACW tourist at this out-of-the-way battlefield. OOHoward got yet another comeuppance here at the hands of Patrick Cleburne et al.

I found Monocacy too spread out and the pertinent sites underdeveloped [hidden signage, lack of "interpretation," for example]. They are getting a new visitors' center soon, if not already, up on a hill away from the river.

Lexington, VA is nice and quiet too; Lee's Chapel, TJJackson's grave & home, Va. Military Institute. Lots to see in such a small area.

Got to Irwinville GA's Jefferson Davis Capture Site but it was closed, so got half-credit for a "hit." Looks like a nice plot of land with a quaint museum.

Averasboro NC, a little southwest of Bentonville, has a private museum and a nice UDC cemetery [Chicora Cemetery].

Just outside [west of] Durham NC is the Bennett Place and Durham Station, where Joe Johnston surrendered to Uncle Billy Sherman.

Speaking of surrenders, go to Appomattox VA for a day to soak in the emotions of that spot.

Columbus GA has a big Civil War Naval Museum I highly recommend. They're always looking for new members, especially nowadays because they need help to finance the building of a full-size replica of a Civil War paddlewheel steamer that fought on both sides during the war [The Water Witch?]. Very nice facility. About an hour-and-a-half NW from Andersonville GA.

And even on the big, popular fields of Gettysburg, it's very inspiring to be at Oak Hill or the Peace Light Memorial near sundown -- everybody's in town eating dinner, so you've got the place almost to yourself. Probably like that at Shiloh's peach orchard, Chickamauga's Horseshoe Ridge, Antietam's Rohrbach's Bridge.

Yay, Olustee FL! Even smaller is Natural Bridge, south of Tallahassee, where a hodge-podge group of militia and cadets held off a Union raiding party coming up from the St. Marks River.

I'm still looking for Iuka, out near Corinth MS. Anybody find plaques, earthworks, etc. out at Iuka?

Art in Tampa, FL

Last edited on Fri Sep 8th, 2006 05:51 pm by Art B.

Close Window