View single post by smawson44
 Posted: Tue Sep 12th, 2006 05:28 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
smawson44

Mana: 

Shadowrebel:

I believe that you have some good points, and admittedly it is hard to compare the two commanders because there greatest successes came when they were fighting each other, and when they finally did face off Lee's army was a mere shadow of what it once was.  I am just trying to make the point that Grant should not be considered an overrated commander.  After all, his early successes came when the Union most needed victories.  Also it wasn’t just Grant who defeated Lee; it was the army that he had sculpted.  I think it would be hard to deny the contributions that he made to the army of the Potomac, including revitalizing the Cavalry arm, instilling an offensive mindset, and finally making it into the army that, after Petersburg, kept up a tireless pursuit which finally ended the war.

Also Grants move at Vicksburg was risky.  He had failed on all other tries, and he did not know that Pemberton wasn’t going to throw his whole force at him, while Johnston was always a danger in the rear.  If he hadn’t captured Vicksburg, he undoubtedly would have been removed from command.  Those are all risks worth noting

Close Window