View single post by cklarson
 Posted: Fri Jun 19th, 2009 06:23 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
cklarson

Mana: 

I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know of the existence of a Confederate nursing service that was the equivalent of the US Army nursing service, heading by Dorothea Dix.
To my knowledge the main Confed. hospital was Chambarrozo (sp?) in Richmond that was mammoth. Sally Tompkins, I believe, was the matron and a commissioned captain.

There was an Alabama woman who also established their state hospital near Richmond, I think. A few other women also set up their own hospitals. Otherwise, given the invasion of US troops it would have been difficult to establish secure base hospitals. As far as I know, most Confederate wounded were farmed out to private homes and boarding houses. Perhaps the most famous Confed. nurse memoir is that of Fannie Beers..

There were a number of mostly "Mothers" of regiments who traveled with the troops. Rose Mooney of an LA regt. being one. There were a number of women Confed. soldiers, but right off the top of my head, I can't think of one the equivalent, say, of Annie Etheridge of the 5th MI or Marie Tebe of a PA regt. who were battlefield medics.

You should take a look at my friend's Richard Hall's Women on the Civil War Battlefront. He lists women by state in the back.

C. Kay Larson, independent scholar/author

Close Window