View single post by 5fish
 Posted: Fri Jul 10th, 2009 11:29 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
5fish

Mana: 

booklover wrote: Something I've always wondered about, and just from a cursory glance through some sources it seems unlikely, but I've wondered if any soldier from the North Carolina regiment that shot at Stonewall Jackson ever admitted to doing so? If he had of, I imagine the reaction would have been harsh against him. I understand that the commander of the unit died shortly after the war and his family members said it was the guilt he felt for giving the order to fire.

Anyone have any idea?

Best
Rob

I took a look at this I could could not find a offical Regimental history of the 18th NC but I found the follow on the net. It seems Col. Purdie gave the orders to fire on General Jackson staff. Col. Purdie does not go down in histroy as the man that killed Gen. Jackson because he died the next day at Chancellorsville and the colors of the 18th NC regiment were lost to the 7th NJ Infantry. It seems that May 3rd was not any better for the 18th NC then was May 2nd. Below is a portion form one site I found on the 18th NC regiment....

As General Jackson reconnoitered his front, he drew fire from the enemy. This sent General Jackson and about thirty mounted staff officers galloping full speed towards the Eighteenth North Carolina.  Colonel Purdie ordered "Fix bayonets; load; prepare for action!"  When General Jackson and his entourage were within approximately 100 yards of the Eighteenth, Colonel Purdie gave the order "Commence firing."  They maintained a heavy rate of fire until unhorsing Major Holland (or Harris) of General Jackson's staff.  Then, realizing it was not Federal cavalry, but their own staff officers in their front, the firing stopped.  General Jackson sustained a mortal wounded, and several others died from the friendly fire of the Eighteenth.[42]

Close Window