View single post by pamc153PA
 Posted: Wed Sep 2nd, 2009 11:48 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Neck hair moments--I like that!

The first time that happened to me was soon after I became interested in the Civil War, and was at Chancellorsville for the very first time. I'd read about the battle, and about my ggggg-uncle's place in it, and my husband and I had "done" the tour, including Jackson's flank march, Hazel Grove, and Jackson's wounding site--the "must sees." But it was as I stood by myself at Catherine Furnace--not one of the "must see" places--that it really hit me. To this day, I can duplicate it in my mind: the remains of the stone and brick furnace in front of me, the smell of the woods and the wet ground, the quiet, even the pileated woodpecker that flitted from tree to tree nearby. Neck hairs.

A couple years later, when I was by myself at Elwood on the Wilderness battlefield (this was before the NPS had restored the place, and you had to get a special permit to go out there), I had that feeling again. I was sitting out at the Lacey graveyard where Jackson's arm is buried, and there was NOBODY anywhere within a mile or so, just a tractor in a field in the distance. I literally felt this kind of buzz, connecting me to the place and the battle. Not paranormal, just a strong overwhelming connection.

You're right, Joe. Real neck hairs don't happen very often, but when they do, they're something it's hard to forget. I'll be interested to see what everyone else has to add!

Pam

Close Window