View single post by Maverick
 Posted: Wed Sep 16th, 2009 10:31 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Maverick
45th Alabama Inf., Co. F

Mana: 

Hi mike46142,

Are you still out there ? :)

The photos of Perryville were sterling. Thank you for posting them as they are the first private photos I've seen of the battlefield.

My direct ancestor (great-great-grandfather) was in the battle of Perryville: Left Wing commanded by Maj. Gen. W.J. Hardee, Brig. Gen. Anderson's Division, Col. Samuel Powell's Brigade, 45th Alabama Infantry regiment commanded by Col. Samuel Powell.

The 45th Alabama along with the 24th Mississippi and the 29th Tennessee were formed into line on Edwards House Hill and were ordered to attack westward toward Peters hill; covered by artillery support from Barrett's Missouri Battery. Union batteries 3/4 mile distant annoying the CS lines was their objective. The hilly terrain covered the fact that the 45 Ala./29th Tenn./24th Miss. were attacking the anchored tip of an entire Union division; Sheridna's division.

The three Confederate regiments attacked into 2 distinct lines 300 feet seperating them, came under intense Union battery fire soon as they came into range. But they never wavered. Giving the Rebel Yell, my ancestor's 45th Ala. on the right, the 3 regiments crossed Bull Run Valley and reached the bottom a hilltop covered with a cornfield. The 36th illinois was posted there and quickly fired upon the 45th Ala. and the 24th Miss. yet the Confederates concentrated their fire upon the Union batteries located on the hilltop and advanced forward. Encountering a rail fence at the top of the hill they layed down on their stomachs and began carefully choosing their targets---turning the fence into a "phalanx of sharpshooters." Union reports state the firing was effective and heavy and many Union men fell in the action.

Vastly outnumbered by both infantry and artillery, the 24th Mississippi of Powell finally began falling back, and the 45th Ala. and 29th Tenn. had to do likewise with their left flank now gone.

This was the first major combat my ancestor saw in the war and he and his fellow American soldiers had shown great braveness, resolve and determination. Just a few short months away after the reorginization, the 45th Alabama would be mustered into Wood's Brigade (Later Lowrey's, after Chickamauga) of Cleburne's division and would fight the remainder of the war as Lowrey's brigade, Cleburne's Division, Confederate Army of Tennessee.

Maverick