View single post by cklarson
 Posted: Fri Oct 23rd, 2009 07:07 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
cklarson

Mana: 

I hate to sound like a broken record, but Anna Ella Carroll is right up there with Greenhow. She was an adviser to Lincoln, writing political/legal pamphlets for him.

On October 11, 1861, she left Washington accompanying secret agent Lemue D. Evans, State. Dept. secret agent for Texas and Mexico, to St. Louis. There she ensconced herself at the Mercantile Library whose head was Gen. Joe Johnston's brother. As a result of conversations with him and other Southern sympathizers she had an interview with Capt. Charles M. Scott, a riverboat pilot working on the Mississippi River expedition, or the planned one. It was during this interview that Carroll asked Scott about the use of the Tenn. River rather than the Mississippi. Scott replied that gunboats would not be suited to fight on the Mississippi due to its strong current and the many defensible points. But the Tenn. was especially suited to the gunboats. As a result Carroll wrote up a plan she submitted to the Lincoln administration recommending that the planned US invasion be switched to the Tennessee R. According to testimony by Asst. Secty. of War Thomas A Scott and Sen. Benjamin F. Wade, Lincoln adopted Carroll's plan.

On this site see my announcement of the publicaton of my biography: Great Necessities: The Life, Times, and Writings of Anna Ella Carroll, 1815-1894 and my entry on the Tennessee River campaign. Great Necessities is available through Xlibris.com/1-888-795-4274. Do no use Amazon as other sellers are selling at outrageous prices.

C. Kay Larson, independent scholar/author

Close Window