View single post by ThomasWashington
 Posted: Thu Nov 19th, 2009 02:00 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
ThomasWashington
Banned

Mana: 

Naim Peress wrote: I've heard it said that historians have characterized the Confederacy as having died on the altar of states rights.  I've heard about how the governor of North Carolina having withheld troops from the Confederate Army in order to defend his own state.  Are there any other examples?   Do you think there is any credence to that view?   

I think it's the other way around, i.e. too many, like Lee, concurred with the Union in calling the war a rebellion instead of a defense--  thus costing them the defensive advantage that keeps major countries from being taken over even by much larger ones, due to unity, alliances, ruthlessness etc.  that generally accrue to a defense, but do not accrue as much to a rebellion.

That's why the states needed so much help from the French, Germans etc. to beat the British in 1776, but none at all in 1812; it wasn't that the United States had gotten so  much stronger in 36 years, but that it was a defense rather than a rebellion, i.e. they were fighting 100% rather than 30%.

However there was no question about states' rights in the War of 1812; in fact the Hartford Convention specifically revolved around this fact.

Last edited on Thu Nov 19th, 2009 04:44 am by ThomasWashington

Close Window