View single post by susansweet3
 Posted: Tue Feb 2nd, 2010 05:07 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
susansweet3

Mana: 

From what others say about how their Civil War interest was sparked I would agree with Javal that the Golden Book of the Civil War is for one generation of people the most important .  Those that were born in the 60's all seem to have had an experience with this book as young people.  I was older so missed the book til just recently when I chose the book in a book give away.  It is an impressive work.

Shelby Foote has influenced many others .  I have yet to read all three volumes although was given a set by my sister in law when I started my Civil War journey. 

My interest in the War was not started though a book  it was a battlefield I discovered on a cross country drive after I retired from teaching.  One in the  Western Theater, Pea Ridge.  I then went on to Wilson's Creek.  Here I discovered the book that really grabbed my attention ,  Actually two books.  I asked the park ranger if these two books were good.  He said they were classics of Civil War writing .

My most important books were Bell Wiley's  John Reb, and Bill Yank.  I refer to these two books many times to answer questions .  They tell me about the common soldier , my main interest in the War. 

I have read many more books since then .  Each book adds to my knowledge of the war.  I have not read many of the great over view books  like Battle Cry of Freedom mainly I have read more detailed books of men , thoughts or campaigns and biographies  . I do agree Embattled Courage is an important book .   I would list books by Symonds, Holtzer and McPherson as important , Cunninghams book on Shiloh to me was important.  It gave me new insights to the battle , one of my favorite places to visit .  I am still a Western Theater person . That is where I found the Civil War and where my heart is . 

Iam sure others who are Eastern Theater would add books on Gettysburg , I have not read many on that battle as I tend to be interested in the less known ones.

Susan

Close Window