View single post by borderuffian
 Posted: Mon Feb 15th, 2010 01:59 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
borderuffian

Mana: 

barrydancer wrote: My own $.02...

For me, even ONE black Confederate SHOULD be an ubelievable number given what the Confederacy was and was officially fighting for, but as I think I said in the old closed thread, stranger things have happened. Whether for loyalty, ignorance, personal gain, or fear, there were black men carrying arms for the Confederacy, but their numbers were statistically insignificant. Hell, I bet if you really looked hard enough, you'd be able to find a few Jews in the armies of Germany during World War II, but their existence at face value tells you nothing, and does nothing to counteract the fact that millions of their kin were sytematically slaughtered. Just as the existence of a small number of black men voluntary fighting for the Confederacy does nothing to negate the fact that millions of other black people were held as chattel in perpetual bondage. It's not a perfect analogy, and I'll likely catch flack for it, but I think it's a valid one.

Actually it's not a very good one.  It was the North that forced the "freed" slaves into camps where they died of neglect, starvation and disease by the tens of thousands.

Some say the total number of deaths ranges between 100,000 and 200,000.

Northern historians don't write much about this.  It would be very damaging to their 'war against slavery' mantra.

Also, the North was doing everything it could to preserve slavery within its own domain.

Last edited on Mon Feb 15th, 2010 03:57 pm by borderuffian

Close Window