View single post by 19bama46
 Posted: Fri Feb 19th, 2010 08:21 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
19bama46

Mana: 

javal1 wrote: "If people that say the confederate flag symbolizes hate then they just dont have any sense at all."

Some of us are old enough to remember the KKK beating and lynching blacks while carrying the flag. I still see it carried by white supremacists. Not once have I ever seen the SCV, UDC or other person so concerned about their heritage confront these idiots. Why?

You can blame the NAACP all you want, but much of the hate symbolism now associated with the flag comes from the inaction (and actions) of Southerners themselves.

Sadly, that is true.

today, many will not confront them because they have become accustomed to their foreheads and can't stand the idea of a wrench being placed in the middle of it.

the only thing I would quarrel with is that things have changed within the SCV, maybe too little too late, but that is a post for a different day. UDC as well, I think, but I am not a member, can't meet the basic membership qualifications!

Additionally, while it is true that southern inaction is to blame for a lot of the views surrounding the CBF, it was only a very small faction that ever came from the actions of southerners.

Joe, you remember it... I lived thru it and remember well the opinions and statements of my family still living in Alabama at the time... it truly was a different time

Close Window