View single post by Mark
 Posted: Sat Mar 13th, 2010 06:30 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Mark

Mana: 

Folks, in the last issue of Time magazine the cover article was about how television and more specifically, Tom Hanks (with Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, John Adams, The Pacific, etc.) is redefining how Americans interpret their past.  The article ended with the sentence,

"There is no such thing as definitive history...he [Hanks] is on a mission to make our pages come alive, to keep overhauling the history we know and, in the process, get us to understand not just the past but the choices we make today."

Anyone have any comments on whether or not television and other media are replacing written monographs as how we interpret history?  And if so, is this a good thing?  I think movies and television do indeed make history more accessible to the majority of Americans and that is a good thing.  However, I do wonder if most viewers understand that there are many different interpretations to any one event in history and I worry that many viewers will not look farther than the movie screen for other views.  I'm sorry to ramble, but I think this is an important question for those of us who are interested in history.  Cheers!

Mark

Close Window