View single post by fedreb
 Posted: Fri Mar 26th, 2010 03:14 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
fedreb

Mana: 

I can't tell you how much I envy you as I've just had to cancel this years trip. If you are planning on making this a Civil war themed holiday then I would suggest you fly to DC as it is a much shorter drive (Yes you will need a car) from there to Gettysburg and you can do Manassas on the way. At Gettysburg there are many many places to stay but the one I like best is the Quality Inn at General Lees' HQ which although it is a 5/10 minute drive from the new VC it is right next to the Seminary on the 1st days field and perfect for evening walks on Mcphersons Ridge or over to Oak Hill and it has a restaurant/bar/mini brewery next door. If you are staying a while (2 days are good, 3 better) make sure you hire a Licensed Battlefield Guide to take you through your favourite part of the battle, well worth the money.Drive south from Gettysburg on the Emmitsburg Road and stop at the tourist info place where you enter Maryland,they have ready printed directions on how to get to the Antietam battlefield, awesome place and not to be missed in my opinion, and of course you are then only a few miles from Harpers Ferry, another unmissable place. Many hotels/motels in the town ( we stayed at the Holiday Inn last time) and some good restaurants too.
It is some time since I was last at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, can't remember where we stayed but don't recollect any disappointments.
If you are going further south towards Richmond I would suggest going west to Front Royal and taking the Skyline Drive down the crest of the Blue Ridge, stunning drive and it is only a short drive to Appomattox when you get off.
Stick around, there are folks here on this board who know all the ropes. Whatever you do and wherever you go I just know you are going to have a great time,Enjoy,
fedreb

Close Window