View single post by 19bama46
 Posted: Mon Mar 29th, 2010 02:12 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
19bama46

Mana: 

Irish,
I will try to answer some of your questions. You will find guide seervice at Gettysburg and Antietam, but not Chancellorsville or Fredericksburg. Rates will be in the $40.00 to $60.00 range plus tips. At Frericksburg, the NPS will conduct a very good sunken road tour that will give you a great deal of information about Fredericksburg in 1862 as well as that part of the battle. I highly recommend it..and ther is no charge for that tour.
Car Rentals will depend on what vehicle, how long rented, one way rental or return and a host of other factors, not unlike what you probably deal with in Ireland. Avis, Hertz and a variey of other companies are represented at the DC airports. Reserve in advance!

Do your reading in advance, then buy maps and strike off on your own. Be prepared to do a LOT of walking...or you can buy CD's and listen to them as you drive around the battlefields.
I love the Inn at Gen Lee's Hdqtrs at Gettysburg. At Sharpsburg, I am unaware of overnite accomodations..Sharpsburg is a VERY small village. I have stayed in Frederick Md, as well as Hagerstown, Md. Of course, Harpers Ferry and Charles Town are also nice places to stay and yet close enough to drive where you want to go.
Ed

Close Window