View single post by GeorgeM
 Posted: Wed Mar 31st, 2010 07:01 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
GeorgeM
GeorgeM

Mana: 

You might want to check out the free web site Trip Advisor.  It's a great travel site with input from travelers on hotels, restaurants, and places to visit.  I have contributed myself and wrote some travel tips for Gettysburg. 

As for rental cars, I always use Hertz and get a small car with unlimited milage.  Also, it is important to reserve your car in advance.  You will need a driver's license and a credit card to rent a car in the USA, and if your car insurance doesn't cover rental cars, you will need to get it from the car rental company.  

As for airports, you might want to consider Baltimore instead of Washington, D.C.  The traffic around D.C. is very heavy, fast, and you have to be on your toes driving in it.  I have relatives in the area and drive in it often.  If you still go to a DC airport, it would be good if you can avoid rush hour traffic.  Sometimes it backs up for miles and if there is a wreck, be sure to have your favorite CW book to read.  It might take awhile to clear the roads.

As for battlefields, try to work in Antietam/Sharpsburg if you can.  It is a good one and it doesn't have the urban impacts and visual intrusions like some of the other battlefields. 

Good luck with your trip.  If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

George

Close Window