View single post by pamc153PA
 Posted: Fri Apr 2nd, 2010 12:45 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Welcome to the board, Irish!

I live about 2 hours east of Gettysburg, near Philadelphia, and have spent a lot of time at the 'Burg. Someone else suggested getting a licensed battlefield guide while you are there--definitely worth the money, and you can request cerrain things you'd like to see, or just have "The Tour." I've stayed at the Travelodge there, which is nice because it's near the battlefield and plenty of places to eat (try The Avenue, the typical American diner). The Gettysburg Hotel is right on the Square in the middle of town right between the train station (where Lincoln arrived and left for the dedication of the national cemetery) and the newly opened Wills House, where Lincoln stayed in Gettysburg. There are a couple good eateries within walking distance (The Pub, Mama Ventura's, the Lincoln Diner), but the Hotel is kinds pricey. I've also stayed outside of town on Route 15 (it takes about 10 minutes from there to get to the Visitor Center).

Don't miss Antietam; it's close to Gettysburg (about 1 1/2 hours, max) and it is, as someone here said, pretty pristine. The Sunken Road feels eerily like you'd expect shooting any minute. There's not much in the way of food or lodging in Sharpsburg, so plan to stay in Hagerstown, which is just down the road.

I also have a soft spot for Chancellorsville, Fredericksburg, Wilderness and Spotsylvania, which, if you stay near one, you can do all of them, they're that close. Plus, you can see Guinea Station, where Stonewall Jackson died. Don't be disappointed by Fredericksburg; there's nearly none of the "original" battlefield left, the town grew over it. If you get to Fredericksburg, don't miss Chatham Manor across the river with a great view of the city (ask a guide for directions), and if you get to Chancellorsville and the Wilderness, go see Ellwood, which is where Stonewall Jackson's amputated arm is buried, in the tiny Lacey family cemetery there. Unfortunately, be warned that the outskirts of Fredericksburg are pretty much a good example of American suburban sprawl, but there are some good battlefield sites left around there.

I don't know about the trains available, but the roads in PA and MD are pretty well-marked, and if you follow I95 south from, say, DC, it'll take you to Richmond, Petersburg, and Pamplin Military Park. Major highway, but a good connector between major sites.

Pam

Close Window