View single post by IrishBrigade
 Posted: Mon Apr 12th, 2010 02:52 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
IrishBrigade

Mana: 

It's a very interesting subject, let me give you a non-American point of view, the Confederate Battle Flag is seen as the "Rebel" flag, doesn't really matter what you're rebelling against. Unfortunately it is used by Extremist groups usually associated with white supremecy. The fact that it wasn't the Confederate national flag is a point missed by most. I once considered getting a CBF tattoo and posted on a Tattoo forum asking for opinions, the best response summed it up for me - He accepted that I knew what the flag really meant and knew my stuff on the war but did I really want to explain that to everyone who saw the Tattoo?? The answer was and still is no.

Symbols are hijacked, the swaztika and over here the term Irish Republican is associated with Terrorism and rebellion rather then Independance and self determination.

I'm not sure how you go about reclaiming the flag, education yes, but there are those who don't want to be educated. Legislative change could be effective but it does seem somewhat un-American to tell people what flags they can and cannot wave. I think you will have to accept that when some people see the CBF they are automatically going to think of racism.

Close Window