View single post by historydork
 Posted: Thu May 13th, 2010 02:24 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
historydork

Mana: 

In terms of guides, James Hessler is an excellent guide also. He is the author of Sickles at Gettysburg.

The Farnsworth House does have great food, but it reminds me of an upgraded Cracker Barrel in terms of what they offer. That sort of food. It does get busy and I'm not sure if you can make reservations, but it can be a bit of a wait.

I would definitely venture to Harrisburg to visit The National Civil War Museum. It might be best to visit here first, as it provides a great overview of the war - from both perspectives. Check their website for special events. I know they tend to have a lot going on during summer weekends in terms of living history and speakers. They also just opened this new permanent exhibit on Lincoln (I was just there for the opening celebration), which is fantastic. It's an interactive one that you can ask Lincoln questions and he responds on a large screen.

In terms of books, if you are venturing to Harrisburg, I think it would be worthwhile to stop in Mechanicsburg on your way to Gettysburg. There's a great book store there - Civil War and More. The owner, Jim Schmick is a wealth of knowledge and it's a neat little store. For that matter, I think Jim keeps the books stocked at the Harrisburg Museum.

Close Window