View single post by Barlow
 Posted: Tue Jul 6th, 2010 03:38 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Barlow

Mana: 

I would ask that you revisit your views on their being little to distinguish Lincoln and Johnson after reading this book.

These traits of Andrew Johnson were never part of Lincoln or his plan for reconstruction:

1.  Having Confederate leaders and generals act as governors of their respective states.

2.  Total Disenfranchisement of the freemen, use of the KKK to kill and intimidate new voters

3.  Rescission of the 13th Amendment and veto of the 14th Amendment

4.  Recall of Generals Howard, Hancock, Sickles and Sheridan from their posts as temporary maintainers of peace in the South.

I believe the reviews on Amazon and Author Stewart's views that Johnson was in many ways the antithesis of Lincoln are true.  Racist is even too kind a word.  He was not just opposed to the Radicals, he was far right of many Democrats.  He wanted to go back to 1859, even after 600,000 deaths and 4 years of battle.  He may have been not only the worst President, but the worst possible leader at that time.  Vengeful, truculent, corrupt.  He finally accomplished his true mission on 1/1/68 when he issued mass pardons for Davis, and everyone else connected to the confederacy.  He might have liked Edwin Ruffin as a running mate, had not Grant won the nomination and Ruffin not committed suicide.

He made his primary mistate in not challenging the Act in question before a favorable Supreme Court, rather than merely violating it.  Finally, as the author points out, $300,000 was raised and spent in bribe money to secure aquittal.  We should be thankful that his term lasted so short.

What I referred to in my desire to see more about his actions immediately after Ford's theatre are questions about those moments in time in the days following the assassination, his ascension to the presidency, his feelings on efforts to capture Booth, etc.  I know that Stanton took the primary role in post Ford's theatre events, but there is a paucity of information on Johnson's role during those fateful days. 

After reading this book, I was wondering why Lincoln had chosen him in the first place, and if there were other Tennessee or Maryland leaders who could have accomplished what Lincoln was trying to do in the naming of his running mate.

Close Window