View single post by Hellcat
 Posted: Mon Aug 16th, 2010 04:42 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

I may be wrong but I believe when I looked at Foote's trilogy back in high school back in the early '90s the bibliography listed Catton as one of his sources. Personally that's saying something to me.

I'v nothing against Shelby Foote and would someday like to add his trilogy to my library. But I grew up with Bruce Catton. My family visited Appomattox Court House right around the time I went into kindergarten and picked up A Stillness at Appomattox and The American Heritage Picture History of the Civil War. All through out elemenary and high school I always referred to Catton when I wanted something and the very first book in my personal library was The Civil War (1987 reprint of The American Heritage Picture History of the Civil War) which I recieved from one of my aunts and uncles one Christmas. Since then my library has grown considerably, especially after 2000 when it began growing by leaps and bounds. This has included the additions of Catton's The Coming Fury, Terrible Swift Sword, Never Call Retreat, and This Hallowed Ground. So I'll always have a soft spot for Catton because my library started with his work.

Close Window