View single post by wkgncuz
 Posted: Tue Oct 11th, 2005 07:28 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
wkgncuz

Mana: 

Thank you for the link/dowload!  I read it in its entirety finding myself dumbfounded by how little I understood why and how the Civil War ended.  I, too, googled confederate deserters.  I read and read and read, mostly to no avail.  I did copy names to google further, but haven't done that yet.

I'm thinking now that perhaps my best bet is to query and read books such as Quantrill's Raiders and others like him.  Perhaps an entry in a book may give me enough information to at least search it further. 

I copied the below information from my reading to look up also:

Kirk’s Raiders, a Union Army band of guerillas famed for their ruthless killing, robbing, burning, pillaging and destroying. Kirk, originally a Confederate deserter, had a commission as a Union Colonel. His murderous band consisted of both Union regulars and Confederate deserters from East Tennessee. They were basically a regiment of common criminals employed by the Union Army to harass the civilian population of Western North Carolina.  AND: 

Gangsters of the Great Rivers Region – S. Glenn Young & the Ku Klux Klan – Charlie Birger & The Shelton Gang – Frank "Buster" Wortman – Lakeview:

Again, thank you... I'm looking forward to hearing from others!

Just thinking... maybe a google search of 'civilian post-civil war victims'!  :)

Close Window