View single post by 9Bama
 Posted: Fri Oct 15th, 2010 03:20 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
9Bama

Mana: 

Mark wrote: Could you provide a primary source for this? I've looked all over and I cannot find anything. My guess is that many of them stayed in Indiana and started over because it was a much more prosperous region and most had lost the ties they had to Roswell: many of their husbands, brothers and fathers dead or missing, their family slaves run off or liberated by federal cavalry and their only means of income (the mill) destroyed beyond repair. Cheers.

Mark

Under what conditions is this acceptible? These women simply vanished from their homes and families, never to return because they worked as laborers in a Mill. They were more than likely slaveless as they werre not the owners or managers of the mill, but rather the laborers.

I find this to be a tragedy as severe as any I have knowledge of. had they desired to migrate to southern Indiana because it was more "prosperous" that would have been their business and thier decision. First of all, I have no idea that southern Indiana was indeedmore prosperous than their former homes, maybe you do. Secondly, I doubt that women alone during war time, considered the enemy, in the mid 19th century had a very easy time of it. Would you want you mother, sister, wife to endure that? I would not!

Close Window