View single post by Regina
 Posted: Fri Nov 3rd, 2006 10:53 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Regina

Mana: 

I appreciate the member comments I have received.  I first visited Monocacy Battlefield briefly last February when I went to Frederick to help my sister who was relocating there (we are from Connecticut).  In July, after spending July 1, 2 and 3 in Gettysburg, we went back to Monocacy on the anniversary of that battle.  We were quite impressed with the visitor center display there, the living history encampment that was held that weekend, and the beautifully preserved land--especially the walking trails.  We walked the Thomas Farm trail early one morning--the bones were quite visible along the trail--and not all together, just here and there along the way.  We tried to make sense of it and told ourselves that they must be farm animal bones.   I took four, there were more there that we left.  Since then, I've felt uneasy.  I kept seeing articles in various newspapers about remains being found or dug up accidentally.  (In my town I am part of a group trying to stop developers from digging where we believe the remains of Revolutionary War soldiers are buried in a mass grave because they had smallpox and were dumped onto our beach from a British prison ship but that's a whole other story).  I just want to know for sure what kind of bones I have, and if they are human, I want to be sure they are properly and respectfully taken care of.

Close Window