View single post by kj3553
 Posted: Sun Oct 16th, 2005 02:19 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
kj3553
Born in the wrong century

Mana: 

Even in those olden days when I was in high school (way back in the 60s), what we learned about the Civil War in history class was minimal at best. Highly glossed over, just a few names and dates, and memorizing the Gettysburg Address. But it wasn't just the Civil War that got that treatment -- from the Revolutionary War to the 2nd World War, everything was little more than a summary of highlights. And if it was that "bad" when I was in school, imagine how it is today!

What kids learn in school today, or should I say what they don't learn, is sometimes appalling. I was once told that "inner city" kids don't need to learn about George Washington because what he did has no bearing on their cultural background. If we can't even teach our kids about the Father of our Country, then what are we teaching them?

As for the promoting of regional stereotypes, when you look at some of what's been passed on as "entertainment" as Albert pointed out, is it any wonder that these divisions still exist? I'm not so sure that these regional differences are actually a by product of the War, though. They were around before there was ever a Civil War, and were part of its causes.

Anyway...that's my two-cents' worth to this topic. ;)

~KJ

Close Window