View single post by barrydancer
 Posted: Thu Apr 7th, 2011 09:22 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
barrydancer

Mana: 

We're getting far off the point of the original post, but both are relevant to my interests.  Many points to address, however.

"If, as you say, it "became a war to end slavery" the fact is that, it became a war to end slavery only in the South. Like I said, and you didn't elaborate on, the truth is that the North/Union states still had slavery after the war."

--Indeed, for a reason you stated elsewhere.  The federal government had no power to interfere with slavery in the states.  Those in rebellion were a different matter.  This issue, leaving slavery alone in states loyal to the Union, was brought up during the war.  Making a move to end slavery in the border states outright would have jeopardized the support needed for the war effort.  I'm paraphrasing Lincoln, but he stated something along the lines that the "push and pull" of war would put a de facto end to the institution in the border states.  The large number of escapees into free states from the border gives credence to this.

"As for Lincoln making it "clear that his administration would oppose admission of slave states"...

Lincoln made West Virginia a new state and it was OK for them to keep slavery."

--West Virginia was admitted under the condition that the eventual abolition of slavery was provided for in the new state constitution. 

"Well at least you admit that Lincoln started the war."

--I dunno.  I think those hotheads in Charleston Harbor had a little something to do with it, as well as their colleagues throughout the South who had seized Federal property in the preceding months.  

Back to the original intent of this thread, the Lost Cause.  Being a student of James Longstreet, it's something you become quickly acquainted with.  This Wikipedia article does a fairly concise job of summarizing the main points.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Cause_of_the_Confederacy

I like U.S. Grant's contention.  "This was the way public opinion was made during the war, and this is the way history is made now.  We never overwhelmed the South...What we won from the South we won by hard fighting."  Also, "the 4,000,000 of negroes [who] kept the farms, protected the families, supported the armies, and were really a reserve force [were] never counted in any summary of the forces of the South."  qtd. in David W. Blight's Race and Reunion:  The Civil War in American Memory, Harvard University Press, 2001, pg. 93

Close Window