View single post by TimK
 Posted: Tue Apr 12th, 2011 03:40 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
TimK

Mana: 

A recent trip to Vicksburg reminded me of one of the best Civil War trips I took a few years ago.

I flew into Memphis and headed east to Shiloh. I spent three days at Shiloh and Corinth. I personally think Shiloh is the best of the CW battlefields to visit (not that the others aren't - they are) for several reasons. Corinth, I think gets overlooked a lot. Besides being the location of the railroad crossing that was the reason for the battle of Shiloh, there is a wonderful interpretive center and a very interesting walking tour.

From there, I headed south through Brices Crossroads and Tupelo. In Tupelo, I got on the Natchez Trace Parkway (fascinating and worth a trip in itself). I took the Trace to just outside Jackson and then headed west to Vicksburg.

After a few days in Vicksburg, I drove north up to Cleveland, MS, the birthplace of the Delta Blues. I would suggest that people take their time passing through this place. Plenty of great music and food.

Getting back to Memphis, I took the time to visit the National Museum of Civil Rights, the Gibson guitar factory, Beale Street, the Peabody Hotel, and caught a minor league baseball game. I passed on the Elvis stuff in both Tupelo and Memphis, but would have understood completely if I was with somebody that needed to see his sites.

It was a great trip. Of course I told my wife I needed to make this trip in the name of Civil War research, but understandably, I don't think she fully believed me.

I would really like to read about other people's great CW trips, or read any comments on stuff I may have missed on this one.

Close Window