View single post by Widow
 Posted: Tue Nov 7th, 2006 07:29 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Widow

Mana: 

I've visited only a few sites in my year or so of the Civil War.  One that's really unusual is the Pipe Creek Line, in western Maryland.  It stretches along Big Pipe Creek for about 20 miles from Manchester on the east to Hanover on the west.

It was Meade's position for the Army of the Potomac in the last days of June 1863.  It had all the features needed.  It enabled Meade to obey his orders to protect Washington and Baltimore.  A little single-track railroad was nearby for rapid supply of the army.  It had a good road system to the nearby towns, so the internal lines of communication were fairly easy.  Best of all, if Lee wanted to attack, he would have to move south from Pennsylvania along three roads which all funneled directly toward Meade's position.  Meade would have been able to block Lee's escape routes to the Potomac, and possibly bag the entire ANV.

But Lee was moving further north in Pennsylvania, and the first clashes on 1 Jul near Gettysburg forced Meade to abandon the Pipe Creek Line.  Sedgwick's huge 6th Corps was on the east end of the line, so had the longest distance to march.  They hustled, and got to Gettysburg on 2 July, I believe.

The locale is just beautiful, too rugged for development, and it looks nearly the way it looked 143 years ago.

Of special interest is a stone marker placed by two surveyors named Mason and Dixon, right on the state line between Maryland and Pennsylvania.

Patty

Close Window