View single post by Braggcom19
 Posted: Wed May 4th, 2011 12:53 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Braggcom19

Mana: 

Autobiographies are notoriously self serving. Grants being one exception and even Grant left some things out I wish he had addressed. I prefer to read several biographies, published after 1950 or so, then read the Autobiography. Also before reading a bio of a southerner I check the bibliography and notes. Much "Early" work hangs it's hat far too much on the Southern Historical Society Papers.

In my opinion Sherman was a very good leader of men, a very good army Commander, and probabnly the best General either side had as regards the logistics of moving an Army. Extremely intelligent he seldom made big mistakes and seldom made the same mistake twice. A notable exception being the frontal attack at Kennesaw Mountain during the Atlanta Campaign in Dec of '64. He had experienced once before attacking a fortified position in June of '62  at Chickasaw Bayou in Grant's first attempt to take vicksburg. For the msot part he was the Army Commander who was the most parsimonius in his use of troops as regards casualties. He and Johnston danced around each other; "Moving by the left flank" that it's a wonder both weren't dizzy from the turning movements. He was also a pretty good hand at both wrecking and rebuilding a railroad.

In a forthcoming book I have been working on trying to finish before the "Green Ripper" visits I have included a chapter devoted to the premise that Sherman was Bi-Polar. I am so "deflicted" and knowing how I react to different situations reading his memiors was much like reading a study of Bi-Polarism. I'll leave that for the scholars to decide.

That he and Grant were close friends shortly after meeting there can be no doubt. Grant  trusted Sherman and even if Sherman thought Grant wrong he would speak his peice and if unable to turn Grants mind he followed orders and gave it his best. I wish Sherman and had been with Grant when he crossed the Rappahannock in May of '64, no doubt his presence was needed elsewhere but perhaps Thomas could have done Atlanta...Quien sabe?

One particular thing I liked about "Cump" was he most assurredly knew how to dispel any thoughts of his running for El Presidente, and he did not like newspapermen!

Michael Bragg

Last edited on Wed May 4th, 2011 12:55 am by Braggcom19

Close Window