View single post by Braggcom19
 Posted: Wed May 4th, 2011 04:42 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Braggcom19

Mana: 

Yea,some say Sherman was "thrown back" in his attack on Missionary Ridge on 24 November. This is not entirely true. When Sherman was put across he was landed in the wrong place. Terrain did him in by placing a natural barrier between his forces and those on the ridge. It was a case of "can't get there from here", and Sherman went into a sulk as the term was then used.

Hooker had had some success at Lookout Mountain. Bragg's forces were arrayed along the physical crest of lookout, not the military crest and he could not bring artillary down onto Hooker because the "military crest, below the Physical Crest" shielded Hookers forces from the artillary and he faced "only" musketry from troops on the lower "Military crest".

Sherman was not a man who had much of a liking to being upstaged through no fault of his own and this caused him to "sulk" for a time. Next day was not a great day for either Hooker or Sherman. Limited success at best but Thomas & Army of the Cumberland were in the center with orders to "demonstrate" against the first trench lines in the center. Thomas' Soldiers, being what veterans are, usually proud men, were not happy about Grant's concerns over their not being up to the task of taking the center attack to the top. When they attacked they pushed the Johnnies from the first trench line to the second and so on until up and over they went. Grant asked tersly who ordered them to go "all in" and Thomas standing nearby said he didn't think anyone "ordered it, once they get started it's hard to stop them" or words to that effect; probably with a little satisfaction in what he had seen.

When they went over the top and as the Confederates were going down the other side, George Bruton Bragg, my Grandfather some removed, was captured. He was nephew of Braxton. A rifled musket has been passed down with "bruton Bragg" carved on the right side of the stock. Oral Bragg history places it as the musket he carrried on the ridge but I have my doubts as Grant was never known to allow prisoners to retain their muskets. Personally I believe Bruton, after being paroled, rejoined the cause and picked the musket up on some field.

Chattanooga catapulted Grant to LT General however I think Rosecrans was treated shabbily in the doing. All the plans for opening the "cracker line" were in place and ready when Grant arrived, including building pontoon boats to float the men "Down", Baldy Smith was probably the co/author of the plans, he commandeered two steam engines from chattanooga. Using one to build a saw mill with which to build the pontoon boats and the other to build a small Steamboat, (the one Grant left in). The premise that all that was all done in the short period between Grant's arrival and the plan being effected was simply not possible.

The really astonishing thing that happened regarding this battle is Stanton and his chief of railroads moving 30,000 troops from the Army of the Potomac to Chatanooga in 7 days time. Stanton committed to 5 but it took the railroad man 2 to gather the cars and clear the track. In that day in time it was an unheard of feat of logistics to move that many troops with artillary and horses and baggage that far in such a short time. Like Mussolini I guess Stanton too could "make the trains run on time".

Michael Bragg

Last edited on Wed May 4th, 2011 04:46 pm by Braggcom19

Close Window