View single post by 9Bama
 Posted: Tue May 10th, 2011 03:25 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
9Bama

Mana: 

TimK wrote: Perry - Concerning the slight disagreement about whether Vicksburg is a park or a battlefield or both - I understand where you are coming from. It is a matter of semantics. My thinking came from this - ask somebody what comes to mind when you say the word park. Most people would say a place to enjoy recreation, with ballfields, soccer pitches, and playgrounds. Then ask people what they think of when you say battlefield. I don't think you will get the same answer.

If you visit a Memorial Park, it is a cemetery first and foremost - not a park in my mind. If you visit a Military or Battlefield Park, it is a battlefield and should be treated as such. I've pulled out my lunch and enjoyed eating at picnic tables at a few battlefields, and the word "Park" is in most CW battlefield site's names, so maybe they are parks in that sense. But I would sincerely have a problem with somebody that pulled out a frisbee. I suppose my issue comes with the people, and I have seen many of them, that don't feel that "something" underneath that you speak of and have no respect for where they are (see Kennesaw Mountain).

Very well said. too often folks get the attitude of " its public property so I can do anything I want to"  and out come the frisbees, and the other  playgorund activities. I don't even like to see the joggers. Those places, and there are few of them and there are many recreational parks, are indeed hallowed ground. Peolpe struggled fought bled and died on the very fields they "play" on and it is disrespectful.

Close Window