View single post by Mark
 Posted: Thu May 12th, 2011 02:27 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Mark

Mana: 

As much as I loath am drawn into such a loaded debate, I would be remiss if I did not point out that the Corwin Amendment said nothing about the Federal territories—and thus did not really touch the main debate over slavery in 1861. No one except a few well-intentioned rabid abolitionists ever called for the ending of slavery in states were it was already established. The real debate was over the extension of slavery into the territories won during the Mexican War. The Republican platform was adamantly against it (not primarily for humanitarian grounds—mainly because they wanted land available for small scale white farmers and didn’t want to have to compete with Southern planters or free blacks). Southern sentiment was just as adamantly for it. Southerners believed, correctly or not, that not allowing slavery in the territories was tantamount to killing the institution. The seceded states refused the compromise because the Corwin Amendment did nothing about the real heart of the slavery issue—not because slavery was not somehow central to the secession crisis.

Close Window