View single post by Widow
 Posted: Wed Nov 8th, 2006 02:22 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Widow

Mana: 

Howdy from NoVa,

My home town, Laramie, Wyoming, is the seat of Albany County.  There is a list of Civil War veterans and widows in Albany County who were receiving pensions in 1883.  Even if you're not researching genealogy, this tiny glimpse into the past might be thought-provoking.

A good many veterans came west after the war, looking to start over.  Maybe to get away from all the difficulties back east, maybe to find work on the Union Pacific or in the coal mines, maybe to try cowboying.  Some of the old-timers I knew in Laramie may have been the grandsons of veterans.

One of the widows was Elizabeth Wheeler.  I have no idea if she was related to my husband's family.  If she was, it would have been a very distant connection to the Wheelers of Peoria, Illinois.

Patty

I don't know how to make this work as a link, so you can copy and paste in your search bar.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~wyalbany/pens.htm

Albany County Civil War Pensioners 1883

Source: List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; giving the name of each pensioner, the cause for which pensioned, the post-office address, the rate of pension per month, and the date of original allowance, as called for by Senate Resolution of December 8, 1882. Vol. IV, page 858.

Last edited on Wed Nov 8th, 2006 02:24 pm by Widow

Close Window