View single post by pamc153PA
 Posted: Sat Jun 11th, 2011 11:46 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Just last summer on our annual summer week in Gettysburg, I did the "tour" of the battle, with the help of North and South Magazine, which had maps and explanations of the battle. I know Gettysburg pretty well, and am working on the battles associated with it.

The tour was good but I didn't know much about the battle beforehand, so aside from the Fairfield Hotel, I was pretty clueless about what I was looking at. There is little to almost no signage; there was one small park/wayside along the line that had an explanation of the battle, but that was it. You'd never know a battle took place there!

The thing that sticks with me the most is the terrain: as we drove up and over South Mountain and the gap, on windey, wooded roads with nothing but huge drop-offs on one side, I could not imagine travelling them with wagons, in the torrential rain, and fighting by the flash of lightning. Put up against the three-day battle that preceded it in Gettysburg, the battle of Monterey Pass seems like nothing, but in the aftermath, at night, in the rain, over dangerous mountain terrain, and travelling with hospital wagon trains, after being defeated and having to give up and head south, I don't think the 1st Marylanders under Emack thought it was any walk in the park as Kilpatrick's cavalry dogged them every step of the way.

I plan to return to the battle this summer when we head to the 'Burg.

Close Window