View single post by Hellcat
 Posted: Sun Jun 12th, 2011 01:18 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Ok, from skimming through the article I'm wondering a little something about whether his refusal to pay Third Ave Railroad was simply because he never intended to honor the tokens as currency (at least in large amounts) or if there was more to it. In 1858 he was arrested for violating a law, the Sunday Liquor Law, which made selling acoholic drinks illegal on Sundays (actually the article says it prohibited serving alcohol on Sundays). The Times called his establishment a "notorious gambleing and dance-house" following his arrest and the "cleaning" out of his establishment of the hundreds of patrons. Wouldn't be surprised cleaning means they were arrested too.

In 1860 the Sunday Laws were then supposedly extended to the establishment of certain religons, or were at least viewed as extending to such, and also to public theatrical preformances on Sunday in NYC and the country there off. In a meeting of German bar owners Lindenmueller proposed a a tax on saloons to raise money to challenge the constitutionality of the laws and the formation of a new German church called the Shaker congregation (funny, I though the Shakers had been in this country since before the Revolution). The Times would eventually say that only a court ordered injunction, which came that October after the Society for the Reformation of Juvenile Delinquents filed for one, would stop him.

Now what I'm wondering is who the owners of the Third Ave Railroad may have been. Could they have been some of the folks prosecuting him for violating the laws? If so, might he have had a grudge against them and thus was more likely to deliberately not be willing to honor his tokens as a voucher for cash payment out of revenge.

Close Window