View single post by Widow
 Posted: Wed Nov 8th, 2006 03:15 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Widow

Mana: 

As long as we're talking about old westerns and Civil War movies based loosely on facts, I'll throw in a few Jimmy Stewart pictures.

"Bend of the River," made in 1952.  The real star was Mount Hood, Oregon.  In every shot, and stole every scene.  Stewart played a man with a dark secret.  But Arthur Kennedy recognized his name as one of the Kansas-Missouri border raiders.  There was tension to see if Kennedy would denounce Stewart to the leader of the wagon train and spoil Stewart's chance to start a new life.  Rock Hudson had a small part.

"Shenandoah" (1965) was supposedly set in the Valley of Virginia.  Of course it wasn't filmed here at all.  A Virginia farmer who didn't believe in slavery, secession, or war was caught up in the Civil War, by both sides.

"Winchester '73" (1950) wasn't based on anything historical.  Two young actors with small speaking parts were Rock Hudson as the Indian and Anthony Curtis as the private.

"The Man from Laramie" (1955) was a hoot.  My brother and I were born and raised in Laramie.  We were so disappointed that there wasn't anything about Laramie, or even about Wyoming, except that Stewart was FROM Laramie.  My brother is retired and lives in France.  Their British friends get a kick out of calling him "the Man from Laramie."  So he talks cowboy and gives them a big laugh.

Patty

Close Window