View single post by pender
 Posted: Fri Jun 17th, 2011 03:45 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
pender

Mana: 

Hank, I Would like too say,before I begin. That under no circumstances did I suggest that Grant was sympathetic too the lost cause. What I Said was I thougt it was interesting that Grant wrote,that if the south was left alone it would become a real and respected nation. I was going by memory,as it had been a while since I had read them. I still stand by that sentiment. I think your exposition on Grants memoirs,is out landish,untruthful,and down right deplorable. As for your facts,we will let the members of the board decide. Though many would disagree,with my lost cause views. I think that after seeing the whole paragraph,there will be no doubt that Grant was indeed writing that about the Confederacy. And you had better believe I will quote this time. Grants memoirs.Chapter 68:"The arts of peace were carried on in the north. Towns and cities grew during the war. Inventions were made in all kinds of machinery. To increase the products of a days labor in the shop,and in the field. In the south no opposition was allowed to the goverment which had been set up.And which would have become real and respected if the rebellion HAD BEEN successful. No rear had to be protected. All the troops in service could be brought to the front to contest every inch of ground threatened with invasion. The press of the south,like the people who remained at home,were loyal to the southern cause." I see no recourse or Grant addressing any body. He is simply writing about the north and the south. The only pro union sentiment is in the figment of your imagination. All Grant is saying is there was no opposition allowed by the confederate goverment. The rest of the paragraph, explians this perfectly. My intent was to show that Grant,though he opposed the Confederate goverment. He respected alot of its people(see civil war journals:west point class mates).I think another good example of this is in Grants memoirs on Appomattox.  Grants memoirs. Chapter 67:"When I left camp that morning, I had not expected so soon the result that was then taking place and consequently was in rough garb. I was without a sword, as I usually was when on horse back on the field, and wore a soldiers blouse for a coat. With the shoulder straps of my rank to indicate to the army who I was. When I went into the house, I found General Lee. We greeted each other and after shaking hands took our seats. I had my staff with me a good portion of whom were in the room during the interview. What General Lee's feelings were , I do not know. As he was a man of much dignity with an impassible face. It was impossible to say whether he felt inwardly glad that the end had finally come, or felt sad over the result. And was too manly to show it. Whatever his feelings, they were entirely concealed from my observation, but my own feelings, which had been quite jubilant on the receipt of his letter,were sad and depressed. I felt like anything rather than rejoicing at the down fall of a foe who had fought so valiantly and had suffered so much for a cause. Though that cause was,I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse. I do not question, however, the sincerity of the great mass of those who were opposed to us."I believe this sums up Grants feelings on the matter. To answer your question. Yes the name of the book is THE GRAY BOOK. I would like to give you a couple more quotes before 1860 to ponder on.Quote: Any people whatever have a right to abolish the existing goverment and form a new one that suits them better.(Abraham Lincoln congressional records,1847)Quote:If the union was formed by the accession of states,then the union may be dissolved by the secession of states.(Daniel Webster U.S. Senate Feb 15 1833) Now in closing I would like to ask a question. Since you just post facts. I would like to hear your fact on this.(though I think your facts are flawed.) After the war, If the union was fighting to free the slaves. Why not free the slaves, take them north. And let the south go in peace. If to preserve the union, that the south did not want to be a part of. WHY? All the north has wanted to do is vilify the south. Make fun of. Call us liars. Always show the north was good. The south was bad. Why not be separated? If we are so dumb,Why would you want us in the union? Never under stood that. No Pro northerner would ever provide an non existent quote. Just please dont tell the southerners under Reconstruction.

Pender

Last edited on Fri Jun 17th, 2011 03:54 am by pender

Close Window