View single post by Mark
 Posted: Sat Jun 18th, 2011 01:08 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Mark

Mana: 

Hi again Pender. Sorry for the late response. I've been rather busy at work lately. Thanks for the response. I am interested in how you view the war as a self-described Lost Causer because how Americans in general remember the Civil War fascinates me.

In response to your last couple comments to Hank... The attachment to the "Union" is a concept difficult to understand in a nineteenth century context. However, remember that Americans of that time believed that the United States was quite literally the last best hope of mankind in a world overrun by aristocratic monarchies. This sediment was as acutely felt in the South as in the North--both believed that they were the heirs of the American Revolution and protecting the future of democracy and humanity. That is why even most Southerners had such a difficult time making a final break from the Federal Union. If the American experiment failed, the small flame of democratic government would be snuffed out and probably never relit. I hope that helps your understanding!

Mark

Close Window