View single post by Texas Defender
 Posted: Mon Jul 4th, 2011 03:54 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Texas Defender

Mana: 

BHR62-

I have a problem with some of what you have written in the first paragraph of your latest posting. The first issue is what I believe is the myth of a conspiracy to send arms to southern arsenals in anticipation of the coming of the war.

I am not an admirer of John B. Floyd as a politician, and certainly not as a general. But I believe that he has been falsely accused by some of treasonous actions. In answer to the charge I present this essay from the Civil War Homepage.

Secession Justification Part VII, Appendix  (See the: "Three Indictments").

As for the beginning of the war, you seem to see things, to use a phrase, : "in terms of black and white."  In actuality, the Confederate Government sent peace comissioners to Washington shortly after Mr. Lincoln was inaugurated. Their purpose was to attempt to negotiate the purchase of federal property in the seceded states, which included an offer to pay some of the national debt. The commissioners were rebuffed by Mr. Lincoln and Mr. Seward, and it was strongly implied to them that the US Government was preparing to abandon Ft. Sumter. That was not the case, as at that very time, a relief effort was being put together.

The existence of this diplomatic effort was even referred to by Mr. Lincoln in his Second Inaugural Address. He said: "....insurgent agents were in the city seeking to destroy it (The Union) without war- seeking to dissolve the Union and divide effects by negotiation. "

In actuality, Mr. Lincoln was in need of an incident to arouse the northern people to take up arms to invade the states that had seceded. The firing on Ft. Sumter was just what he needed, and it was given to him even though Major Anderson signaled his willingness to leave when his provisions ran out.

Of course Mr. Lincoln would have negotiated the return of the seceded states to the Union if they had been willing to do that. They were not, so I agree with your statement that at that point, war was inevitable. Mr. Lincoln would never have accepted secession, and the Confederates were unwilling to consider reunification.

I will respond about Mr. Lincoln's war aims and his views on the races in more detail shortly.

Last edited on Mon Jul 4th, 2011 05:22 pm by Texas Defender

Close Window