View single post by pender
 Posted: Tue Jul 5th, 2011 10:24 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
pender

Mana: 

sgtredleg wrote: I'd say you have good info on the subject of the Light Division. Per chance do you have a descendent that was in A.P. Hills command? I have always thought A.P. Hill performed at his best as the Light Division Commander, especially under Stonewalls strict guidance. However, toward the end General Lee did not have many options for Corps commanders. I suppose General A.P. Hill performed as a Corps commander, as well as could be expected, under the circumstances that the Army of Northern Virginia faced during the last years. Sgtredleg, Nice too hear from another Light Division descendent. Yes I had nine ancestors that served in the Light Division. All in the sixteenth N.C. My G-G-G-G-G-Grandfather Joseph R. Hall enlisted at age 23, May, 1st 1861. And served thourgh out the war until captured at Hatchers Run on the Petersburg lines April 2nd, 1865. His brothers James and Elzaphan enlisted the same time as J.R. James was wounded at Seven Pines, then returned but was captured at Fredricksburg. Elzaphan was wounded during the Seven Days battle then died July 1st, 1862. Also J.R's wife's brothers(my uncles) served in this regiment . John, Stephen and William Collis. John was wounded in the Seven Days battle, Stephen being very young did not join the regiment until 1864. Stephen and John were both captured at Hatchers Run also on Apr. 2nd 1865. William was killed at Fredricksburg. My other ancestors in the sixteenth is Henry and James Allen. Henry was wounded at Seven Pines. James made it to Appomattox. He is the only ancestor of mine known to make it there. The last ancestor in this fine regiment is Nathaniel Allen, James and Henrys uncle. He enlisted on May 1st, 1861, at the age of 47. I agree with you 100% A.P. Hill was much better as a Division commander than corp commander. I think Hills sickness impaired him alot. I would say Hill, as Hood was out of thier element when they were not leading a division. But under Stonewall Jackson A.P. Hills Division is a power house. I think what historian James I Robertson said about Lee and Jackson, could also apply to Jackson and Hill. Though the Jackson and Hill fued seemed unrelentless. Robertson said Lee was like a great quaterback, able to see the whole field. And Jackson was like a great running back able to put his quaterbacks plan in motion. So could A.P Hill put Jacksons plans in motion. Pender

Last edited on Tue Jul 5th, 2011 10:32 pm by pender

Close Window