View single post by Hellcat
 Posted: Tue Jul 5th, 2011 11:32 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Hey, got another one for you. Got the Spauldings Civil War Recipes: Receipts from the Pages of Godey's Lady's Book for Christmas and since this thread I've been looking through it for other things (still gotta try doing the Welsh Rabbit recipe the right way instead of leaving out the ale) and I stumbled upon a recipe for Carbonated Syrup Water from 1860 and 1862. The recipe is:

Put into a tumbler lemon, raspberry, strawberry, pineapple or any other acid syrup, sufficent in quantity to flavor beverage very higly. Then pour in very cold ice water till the glass is half full. Add half a teaspoonful of bicarbonate of soda (to be obtained at the druggist's), and stir it well in with a teaspoon. It will foam up immediately, and must be drank during the effervescence.

By keeping the syrup and the carbonate of soda in the house, and mixing them as above with ice water, you can at any time have a glass of this pleasant drink; precisely similar to that which yu get at the shops.* The cost is infantly less.

Ok, the asterick there is a historic footnote in the book mentioning that soda waters and the counters where they were served were firmly in place by the time the war came along. Knew soda existed by then, but I always thought the soda counter was more a gay 90s introduction.

And you may already have the bicorbonate of soda at home. Got any Arm & Hammer baking soda? Their the same thing. Think I'll see if this works with Root Beer concentrate.

Close Window