View single post by CleburneFan
 Posted: Fri Jul 15th, 2011 01:32 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Another topic: Post tramatic stress syndrome during and after the Civil War. This would take lenghthy intensive research. Because this problem did not have a name then and was not recognized it would be extremely difficult to identify its victims. It woud require studying veterans' records to try to determine incidents of alcoholisn, drug abuse, homelessness, even criminality among post war participants. I know it would be nearly impossible.

However, I do wonder how Civil War vets compare with our own from Viet Nam to the present. I have read that there is a high incidence of brain trauma in our vets in Middle Eastern conflicts from the concussion of road side bombs. I would like to know if the constant sonic pounding Civil War artillerymen experienced had a similar impact on their brains.

I am also very interested in someone studying the nature of cowardice in the Civil War. I certainly understand cowardice and fully appreciate the urge to flee from a horrific battle or try not to go into battle at all.

A book about how the culture of the mid-1860s dealt with what they called cowardice and why it was so shameful plus all its related ramifications would be enlightening.

Back to the original idea, could many of the so-called Civil War cowards really have been victims of post tramatic stress syndrome?

Close Window