View single post by pender
 Posted: Sun Jul 17th, 2011 05:40 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
pender

Mana: 

HankC wrote: you say - "I tried looking up commentary on this section of Grant's memoir, but all I found was A Confederate Catechism by Lyon Gardiner Tyler. On question 15 in his book, Had the south gained it's Independence, would it have proved a failure? He use's Grant's memoir as a source that the Confederacy would have become real and respected. Which I found intersting, that at least he saw it the same way as me."

What's truly interesting is that you used the same, exact, and incorrect, quote as Tyler ("a real and respected nation.") rather than the correct, and complete, quotation. This bad quote appears on many Lost Cause web sites. Naturally, it casts doubt on what Tyler says and illustrates the point that bad facts, repeated often enough, eventually get a life of their own.

you say - "If I am wrong on this subject of Grant's memoir, I will be the first one to admit it. I would also admit I was wrong in using it in the context of an earlier post. The memoir would not change any of my views on the lost cause in any shape or form. "

One hopes that fact-based opinions change as the underlying facts are found to be faulty and new facts emerge.

HankC

Hank, What ever, I really don't know what you are talking about.

Could you please give me the list of lost cause web sites, that have this qoute. All I could find is Tyler's.

Seem's you will not except fact's, no matter the evidence.

As I said before, I was not using this memoir to say Grant was supporting any lost cause dogma. The point being if the rebbelion WERE SUCCESFUL, the southern government would have become real and respected.

Pender

Last edited on Sun Jul 17th, 2011 08:59 am by pender

Close Window