View single post by ole
 Posted: Thu Nov 9th, 2006 03:31 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
ole

Mana: 

The myths that I mentioned that are so persistent are; Was the Sunken Road really sunken? Was the Hornet's Nest really the "key" to the first day of battle? How many Confederate charges took place across Duncan Field? Why did the rookie Yankees run and hide at the river when the equally green Rebels stood and fought? Would the Confederates have been victorious if Beauregard had not called off the attack on the evening of the 6th? Would the Confederates have been the victors if Johnston had not died? Did the arrival of Buell save Grant's defeated army? Did Forrest really stop Sherman's pursuit at Fallen Timbers?

calcav:

I've considered them controversies as oppsed to myths. As far more knowledgeable than I, what is your take on each?

Was the Hornet's Nest "key" to the first day? My take is, no, but ... It was not intended to be but it distracted attention and forces for ASJ's intended objective.

Does anyone know how many charges took place across Duncan Field? I have no guess other than that there were far fewer than popular history would have us believe. Much of the confusion devolves from lumping attacks along that line under the single name of Hornet's Nest.

Why did yankee skedaddlers run while the green Rebs didn't? Does anyone know how many Rebs ran? They had the advantage of vanishing into the woods. The yanks clustered where they could seen and have wild guesses about how many there were.

Would the Confederates have been victorious if ....? Highly unlikely.

If Johnston hadn't been killed? I don't think so.

Did Buell save ....? Definitely not.

Did Forrest stop Sherman's pursuit? Stop a determined Sherman? Stalled it? Perhaps.

Most interested in hearing your opinions on these controversies.

Ole

Last edited on Thu Nov 9th, 2006 03:33 pm by ole

Close Window