View single post by Hellcat
 Posted: Mon Sep 19th, 2011 05:45 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

My CD-ROM is PDF files so a PDF reader should be able to read it. Even with the errors it's still a great thing to have. But the one thing I really don't like is that it's missing things like maps and charts that I get looking at the pages on Cornell's site. And Cornell ever takes it down at least I still have the CD-ROM.

I do like the Cornell site because it's scans from the hard copy. Typically if I'm not sure where to look I just do a simple search for a specific item. Like a search for Wyoming County turns up twenty-five hits in ten volumes. It tells which volumes and how many hits per volume. Then I just go to the volumes and call up the result details. This gives the listing of the hits so I don't have to go to the index for that volume, I can then go to the page the hit is on. Unfortunately as it is a scan I then have to read through the entire page as it doesn't go straight to the hit itself.

The Civil War Battles Page does reference The War of the Rebellion, and it's sister naval volumes, making it easier to find a particular volume.

Close Window