View single post by pender
 Posted: Sat Sep 24th, 2011 09:06 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
pender

Mana: 

sgtredleg and Mark, Thank you for the reply. I found them very helpful. Had been wondering if alot of the folk out there had the same ideas on the ANV up to Chancellorsville and after. When it comes to dealing with the ANV without Stonewall after Chancellorsville it seems to fall in the category of the what ifs. But the fact does remain that after the death of Jackson the ANV was not the same.

Especially when it came to attacking the troop movement mentioned above. There are those that claim the Confederacy was doomed the night the Light Division mistook their Commander for Union cavalry and shot him. I dont know, that is another what if. But in many ways it does look that way. But there is the western theater that some times gets over looked. Quite possibly if Jackson had lived he would have been sent west. I could not see Jackson being passed over in favor of Hood.

Also another fact that gets over looked is the lesser known commanders killed and wounded up till and after Gettysburg. The Division and Brigade commanders, down to the Colonel, Major and captain. And also the private, so many gone and irreplacable. The Light Division's casualties alone up to Gettysburg is staggering, as is the rest of the Confederate army.

One last thing I would like to add is Gen. Longstreet. I do not lay any of the blame on Old Pete for the failure at Gettysburg. I would tend to think if any of us were in his shoes we also would have to try and talk Lee out of such a desperate endeavor. IMO I think Longstreet was kind of slow hoping Lee would change his mind. After all it was Longstreet's Corp entrenched on the heights at Fredericksburg. Again IMO I think Jackson was in his element on the offensive, such as flanking the enemy. Like wise I think Longstreet was in his element on the defensive. Though he did great at 2nd Manassas and Chickamauga. I believe his speciality is defense.

Thanks again fellows, Pender

Close Window